What is integrity?
Albert Einstein says, “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.”
Martin Luther King Jr. says, “The time is always right to do what is right.”
To me, integrity is:
1. Doing the right thing when nobody else is looking.
2. Doing the right thing even when it’s hard.
3. Doing the right thing even when nobody else is doing the right thing.
How are you doing with walking in integrity. I encourage you to take this little quiz...answer in your head if you've ever done this before:
1. Before making a choice you knew you shouldn’t have made, you thought, “nobody will see me. It will be okay.”
2. Before making a choice you knew you shouldn’t have made, you thought, “well, everyone else is doing it, why can’t I?”
3. Before making a choice, you knew you shouldn’t have made, you thought, “I know what I should do, but I’m afraid of what others are going to think.”
4. Before making a choice you knew you shouldn’t have made, you thought, “It’s so tempting…just this one time.”
If you answered yes to any of those questions, there is no condemnation for you! I do encourage you, though, when you are faced with the temptation to make a decision that you know you shouldn’t make, choose to make the next right decision…even when nobody is looking, even when it’s hard, even when everyone else is making the wrong decision…and if you mess up and fall into that temptation, talk to whoever you need to talk to make it right. Ask them for forgiveness. Ask God for forgiveness and then keep moving on doing your best to make the next right decision.
And know that you don’t have to do this alone. Talk to God daily and ask Him to help you be bold enough and courageous enough to make those right decisions even when it’s hard.